Tuesday, September 26, 2006

It's about the data

I have been trying to figure out what would make me happy. I don't like the net as it is today, it feels to ethereal. Like anything I make, a blog post, a OPML file anything is just going to end up like some old 9 track tape I find some day and can't read or use.

Yea, I could download this stuff and store it somewhere (I do) but must I? Should I? I find that while I have my dug articles from Digg, how many of these links will be there in a year? I'd rather just cut and past them into a personal store. Like the scrapbook firefox extension which I love.

I some ways I would like to see it combined with something like the Simile Piggy / Semantic bank efforts. Perhaps those are what I like and I am just not using them enough yet. At least they are using standards I philosophically agree with like RDF and XHTML and such.

Lately I have been listening about Jini on the Javapossee podcasts and been wondering about how it could be used in data grids vs. the compute grids it seems focused on now.

Now if I could just figure out a portal/dashboard approach I like I would be set. Wonder if KDE's plasma effort will have an easily extensible UI apsect to it ala kramaba (sp) that will make it the wonder desktop. I like the concept of the containers I see so far in it. What I need is a tag based files systems (who needs folders?) and a tagged based UI to go with it. :)

No comments: